Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brown Rice Milk with Cashews



A few weeks ago when we bought coffee from a local coffee shop we asked for soymilk for our coffee. The coffee purveyor explained that they do not carry soymilk because it separates if the coffee is too hot. They explained that they used rice milk instead since it doesn’t have the problem of separating in high heat. That explains why sometimes my soymilk separates and led to my thinking about making rice milk. Today I also made a batch of almond milk so I decided if we had both on hand we could do a little coffee taste test and decide which non-dairy milk we preferred in our coffee.

I decided to use brown rice to make the milk because I do not buy white rice any more, unless it is carnaroli, but that is another story and recipe. I wasn’t certain the brown rice would work, but decided I had nothing to lose.

Brown rice is much healthier than white rice. Brown rice is a good source of manganese and selenium. Manganese helps the body to produce energy from food. Selenium is thought to reduce all forms of cancer.

The oil that is present in brown rice is thought to reduce cholesterol. Brown rice has a shorter shelf life than white rice due to the oil it contains. You should use your brown rice quickly, or store it in the freezer so the oil doesn’t spoil.

I added the raw cashews to the milk for richness. Two tablespoons of cashews was enough to give the milk a nice rich fatty milk mouth feel.

Rice Milk with Raw Cashews
Makes 4 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup of brown basmati rice cooked, still hot
3 cups of hot water
2 tablespoons of raw cashews
1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
agave to sweeten – optional (I didn’t add any)

Directions:

Put everything in the blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use. This milk may try to separate in the refrigerator. Be certain to shake well before serving.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 71.01
Calories From Fat (20%) 14.29

Total Fat - 1.71g
Saturated Fat - 0.31g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 78.85mg
Potassium - 59.89mg
Total Carbohydrates - 12.36g
Fiber - 0.98g
Sugar - 0.18g
Protein - 1.67g


Comments:

This milk turned out so rich and thick. Overall I am very pleased with this milk. I can’t wait to try it in a cup of coffee. This milk is so rich and thick you won't believe it is only 71 calories for 8 ounces. This recipe far exceeded my expectations. I love it when an experiment turns out well.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why, but this got really thick in my fridge. Maybe I didn't use enough water. Anyway, it was thick enough that I added some lemon to it and I've been using it as yogurt. Pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henrietta,

    I love the way you think! Brilliant idea to add a little acid and make a yogurt substitute. Thanks for sharing the idea. :-)

    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails