Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Whole Wheat Pizza with Smoked Mushrooms, Vegan Mozzarella and Topped with a Truffle Oil Dressed Arugula Salad with Lemon



My husband got another project off his desk today so I wanted to make him a special dinner to congratulate him. All Italians are fond of pizza, this Italian included. My husband has been married to me so long that he has also embraced pizza. I don’t make if very often because it is low on vegetables and we are trying to maximize our consumption of those for health purposes. Today was a celebratory day, so pizza seemed appropriate.

I hate making the same boring pizzas over and over again. But I hate making the same meals of any sort repetitively. The flavors of this pizza are unexpected but work well together. I think this pizza has flavor anyone would love (vegan or omni). If you are looking for a wow pizza, this unusual pizza may be for you.

Whole Wheat Pizza with Smoked Mushrooms, Vegan Mozzarella and Topped with a Truffle Oil Dressed Arugula Salad with Lemon
Serves 2

Ingredients:

¼ of the whole-wheat pizza dough
1 cup of smoked mushrooms
2 servings of vegan mozzarella, shredded
1 cup of arugula
1 teaspoon of truffle oil
approximately 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
lemon zest, to taste – optional but recommended

Directions:

Preheat your oven (preferably with a pizza stone) to 450 degrees.

Prepare and prebake the pizza according to the directions here.

Top the prebaked pizza crust with the smoked mushrooms and vegan mozzarella and bake until the cheese is melted. This should take about 8 minutes.

Toss the arugula with the truffle oil and place it on top the pizza. Zest the lemon over the pizza (if using). I added about ½ a lemon worth of zest. Squeeze a little lemon juice on the pizza and eat while still hot.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 569.9
Calories From Fat (19%) - 106.7

Total Fat - 14.27g
Saturated Fat - 1.3g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 588.11mg
Potassium - 702.9mg
Total Carbohydrates - 113.36g
Fiber - 12.33g
Sugar - 3.3g
Protein - 17.14g

Comments:

I loved the combination of flavors. The smokiness is subtle and the mushrooms are chewy. Crispness is added with the crust. Vegan mozzarella is warm and soft. Fresh arugula adds a crisp spicy/bitter flavor and well as cancer fighting nutrition. Lemon juice and zest helps to cut through the fattiness of the cheese and truffle oil. The aroma from the truffle oil is wonderful when it hits the hot pizza.

Overall, while this is not a traditional pizza I loved the flavor combination. My husband thinks this pizza is restaurant worthy. Since he is my biggest fan, but also my toughest critic, I take that as the supreme compliment.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, I love arugula on pizza...but I often forget about it. I also like sprouts on pizza as a post-bake topping...I think they go really well with whole wheat crust and lots of garlic...it satisfies my inner-hippie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    I agree, arugula on pizza is tasty. Most of my pizza's end up with a little arugula salad on top.

    Sprouts..... I never thought of that on pizza. What type of sprouts do you use (the fluffier ones like clover or alfalfa or the more subtantial type like lentil or mung bean)? I will try that on my next pizza. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh- I plan to make pizza this week but didn't know what to go with. I'll try yours! It looks fantastic!

    Thank you for the tip about the vital wheat gluten and the burgers. I love using vital wheat gluten with whole wheat breads, I hadn't thought about using it with much else. Thanks!

    About the sewing pattern- the roll up case didn't take too long- just a few hours (maybe 2?). The tote took a long time- just cutting the fabric took 2 hours. Sewing took an afternoon as well. I take things really slow with sewing though so I don't know if it's an accurate estimation of how long it would take another person. I'm a beginner who has really struggled in the past with it, so I take my time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle,

    Glad you liked the sound of the pizza. We thought it turned out really well.

    Vital Wheat Gluten is the secret to veggie burgers that hold together. Once I tried that I haven't made a burger without it.

    You aren't the only sewing beginner. I periodically take on challenging projects (far beyond my capabilities), like black out lined roman blinds (which took days) and then don't do anything. I bought a new machine last year and it is still in the box, so I need to do something with it.

    thanks again,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails