Saturday, November 7, 2009

Ground Flaxseed Crackers – Curry Edition



As you may have noticed I have been trying to add more raw food to our diet. While I have no interest in going high raw I think that eating 50% raw is a good target. My husband liked the eggplant, mushroom and bell pepper I made as a test in the dehydrator a few weeks ago and was ready to order me a big fancy dehydrator then. However, I felt like I needed to explore the uses of the dehydrator a little more before I committed to another big kitchen gadget to take up valuable counter space. We like the kale chips quite a bit but the next thing I needed to try to make were flaxseed crackers. I have seen many recipes for the crackers that use whole flaxseeds. I chose to grind the seeds because I wanted to make certain we absorbed the omega 3 in the flaxseeds otherwise I saw no nutritional reason to eat them.

I have been doing some research about the benefits or drawbacks to eating a raw diet. It appears that while some foods are best eaten raw, the nutrition from other foods is more easily absorbed cooked since it breaks down the tough cell walls. I want to do a little more research but I will post something comprehensive on this topic in the upcoming week. Needless to say I am enjoying the research and can’t wait to share it with you all. I need to thoroughly research and source everything before I start writing.

This raw recipe is my modification of a recipe that is included in Charlie Trotter’s book “Raw”. His recipe uses whole flaxseed and a slightly different blend of spices. For my first attempt at flaxseed crackers I thought these were quite good. Here is what I did.

Ground Flaxseed Crackers – Curry Edition
Makes 10 crackers

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons golden flaxseeds, freshly ground
6 tablespoons water (or enough to make the mixture evenly smooth and spreadable)
1 teaspoon liquid aminos
1 teaspoon amber agave
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon onions flakes
1/8 teaspoon sweet paprika
freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine all the ingredients and stir to combine. Spread an even layer of the flax mixture onto the non-stick sheet (or fruit leather tray) that comes with your dehydrator. Dehydrate for 4 hours. If the crackers are firm enough, remove them from the sheet and cut the crackers into pieces and return them to the dehydrator (without the sheet) and continue to “cook” until the crackers are crisp. This will probably take 18 hours in total. The finished crackers can be store at room temperature until needed.

Nutritional Information:

Amount Per Serving
Calories - 24.57
Calories From Fat (59%) - 14.4

Total Fat - 1.65g
Saturated Fat - 0.16g
Cholesterol - 0mg
Sodium - 34.01mg
Potassium - 3.51mg
Total Carbohydrates - 1.82g
Fiber - 1.28g
Sugar - 0.05g
Protein - 0.83g

Comments:

These crackers are much crisper than I expected. They have a nice “cracker like” snap. What they are missing is the pouf of most crackers that comes from a little leavening. From a flavor perspective these are much nicer than wheat crackers. I was quite surprised by the intensity of flavor of this cracker. I don’t mean that in a negative way. Wheat crackers are much more bland than these flaxseed crackers. Overall I was quite pleased and will exploring more flaxseed cracker recipes going forward.

I did learn some tips while making this first batch of crackers. Don’t spread the mixture too thin or it will create voids in the crackers. A little more water may have been good to thin this mixture a bit. It would have taken longer to dehydrate but would have been easier to spread. Try to spread the mixture as evenly as possible. Last I learned that you shouldn’t try to remove the crackers from the sheet until they are thoroughly dry on the bottom, but are still soft even to cut into pieces.

Nutritionally these crackers are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids and are anti-inflammatory and therefore healthy to consume in moderation. My husband and I were discussing these crackers this morning before he left for the office. We think they would be good with an appetizer plate or broken up on a salad like croutons. I also think they could be interesting put in the food processor and turn into cracker crumbs. They would need to be used raw so not to oxidize the fat to be most healthy.

10 comments:

  1. They look delish! Flax crackers are great dipped in guacamole, raw onion dip, raw hummus etc.. I also make a sweet flax cracker- adding raw honey and cinnamon- then I spread raw almond butter on it and top with bananas. yum! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good. I've been wanting to try making crackers for some time, I may try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra,

    Thanks so much! :) I also appreciate the suggestions of what to do with the crackers. I would love to see your raw onion and hummus recipes. I tried to make raw hummus once with sprouted garbanzos and we weren't crazy about it. It probably needed more fat than I wanted to use.

    Also, thanks for mentioning the sweet flaxseed crackers. My hubby would love them with walnut butter and apple slices. I think I may have to make those next.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janet,

    This was my first attempt at flaxseed crackers and they were much easier than I expected. I would say you don't really need a recipe. They also taste better than I expected. I love that they are full of flavor. You should try them. I think you will like them.

    I am going to try Debra's suggestion and make a sweet version next. I think I will use agave and maybe some fresh ginger (I have just starting thinking about it so who knows what I will actually make).

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about the raw. I don't want to attempt completely raw or really a high raw. I just love my cooked food- can't wait to see your research!

    The flaxseed crackers look great! I have an obsession with finding new ways to use flaxseeds. I don't have a dehydrator though.

    About the beer bread- I've never tried it with whole wheat flour. It's kind of sweet and I think maybe the whole wheat would make it more bitter? It's worth a try- the worst thing that could happen is you would throw it away. It's easy anyway.

    Oh, and YES! It was a man who told me I look miserable. It made me feel bad because I don't feel miserable. I feel just fine actually, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janelle,

    If you want to try flax crackers you can try making them in a low oven on a silpat or parchment. It should work. Or you can get an inexpensive dehydrator at Target. I think I paid $25 for the one I am using now.

    Thanks for getting back to me on the beer bread. I think I am going to try it with all whole wheat. I will definitely let you know if it works, or not.

    I knew it had to be a man that made that comment to you. They can be a little oblivious sometimes. I think you look beautiful and very happy in the photo you posted this week.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as a comment about your desire to get flax seed into your diet, I'd suggest trying chia seeds. Google it and you'll be amazed, way more antioxidants than flax so they don't get rancid and you don't need to grind them to absorb. I am even giving them to our dogs!

    Love your blog, I'm a vegetarian in Mazatlan, Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy,

    Thanks for the suggestion. We do also eat chia seeds but not as often as they are approximately 5 times the price of flaxseeds in the US and more difficult to find.

    Thanks for the compliment on the blog. I appreciate it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I didn't think of the price, as they are grown in Mexico (actually that is where the state of Chiapas gets its name). I paid 15 pesos for about a cup of seeds, that is around $1.10. Not sure how that compares to the US.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy,

    In the US organic flaxseed runs about $2.20 a pound and organic white chia is $11.90 for the same amount.

    Clearly, they are far cheaper in Mexico than here. I do love the chia seeds though. I found that are a wonderful thickener to use in desserts. If you do a search on fool in my blog you will see my favorite way to use them.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails