Thursday, May 6, 2010

Green Tea Polyphenols May Reduce Skin Cancer Cell Survival


It seems that a few times a month I read another article or study about the benefits of consuming green tea if you are concerned about cancer. This abstract of a study at the University of Maryalnd School of Medicine looked at skin cancer and green tea. EGCG appears to negatively impact two proteins that help skin cancer cells stay alive, thus leading to skin cancer cell death. This is only study, but one in a long line of studies that show similar results with different cancer cell lines.

While skin cancer isn’t specifically a concern of mine maybe it should be. I spent many summers in my youth lying on the beach covered in baby oil and getting burned. The cumulative effect of those burns is what is thought to lead to basal cell melanoma. Not a comforting thought is it?

I am going to continue to drink my 6 cups of green tea a day. In fact, I am going to make myself a double ginger green tea now and get back into the kitchen.  Don't forget to have a little soy (I choose dry roasted edamame) to increase the effectiveness of both the tea and the soy. Talk to you all again soon.

5 comments:

  1. I do not drink as much tea as I should, I have a ton of it though...I have got to get a tea pot today, no excuses!
    I think f you have as much green tea as you and I have it is silly not to drink it..lol
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandi,

    I start my day with a mug of double green tea and then have at least two more throughout the day. It was tough at first but now that it is a habit I don't even think about it. I am having a mug of green tea now. :-)

    I know I have read at least 50 studies about the health benefits of green tea. I agree with you, it just makes sense to drink it.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that's good news! My cancer was malignant melanoma. The doc told me that I would have been dead in a year had I not been diagnosed when I was. So, this will be wonderful news with people at risk. Thanks, Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessed Mama,

    I remembered your skin cancer and that is why I posted this. I think it is good for all of us to keep in mind. Our general practictioner was just telling us that he is seeing a big increase in skin cancer is his practice. Anything that helps to prevent it our cause it to die is great in my book.

    talk to you later,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for share http://skincancerspictures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails